Wednesday, November 1, 2017

At Least Give Us A Choice

I'm a fan of minimalism. I like the console, I like little to no GUI. Just give me the basics. Keep it light and flexible. Give me the ability to customize my tools, or the apps I use every day. What I like is the polar opposite of the web. On the web everything is flashy and bloated with whatever trendy eyecandy is the 'it' thing. Not to mention all the ads and spam. Ugh some sites are utterly unusable due to the piles of junk heaped on top of their content.
And phone apps don't seem to be any better. It's pathetic that I can take a phone charged to 100% and in 15 minutes of Facebooking etc it's been drained to less than 80%. What a jerk thing to do. Why would you build something so bloated it tanks people's phones or other devices?
Man at least give us choices. Let us choose slimmed down versions. Let us customize your site or app. Instead of wasting time on the eyecandy you're going to abuse us with, think about performance and efficiency and our experience.
Man, just give us some options. Quit treating us like sheep and let us choose how we want to use your site or app. Or, I for one, will just stop using it.

4 comments:

  1. At the very least, you should be able to properly use a UI/page with most features disabled. I forget who said it, but I read once that you should design around your content but ensure it's always usable. Like building an escalator, because if an escalator breaks, at least it's still stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the point about the escalator! With social media, what I do is pull up the mobile versions of the sites. - They're heavy for phones, but butter on a desktop.

      Delete
    2. Same! For example, on Linux, there's a Twitter app called Anatine, which basically loads the mobile version in a window.

      Delete
    3. Nice! Think I tried TTYtter as well, but ended up going with the mobile web version.

      Delete

5 VST Effects I Use in Every Song

VSTs are so great. I have a massive collection of free instruments and FX that I've tracked down. There are SOO many to choose from... B...