Saturday, December 28, 2019

A Spark in the Dark

I am still working through building a web service, and a consumer site to show it off. The consumer is not pretty. It's been years since I've seriously worked in PHP, and even then I was never super knowledgeable on PHP design patterns. Most of my work was basically imitating MVC designs. - And poorly so.

I'm keeping everything as simple as possible. The header loads all the look-up lists and assigns them to the jQuery autocomplete text fields. The specified watch loads into the main real estate. I need to fix it to do search results and other views as well as the watch detail view.

But I'm off topic. I still hate web development. I am being reminded of this dislike every night I work on this project. At the same time I've been doing some front end work during the day. I need to add a couple controls and UI logic applied to them. They are in C# and within a Telerik grid.

Due to the annoying wall between the front and back end I decided to use jQuery to apply the logic. I LOVE jQuery! It is so amazingly powerful - and enjoyable to work with. It is the one shining light in the dark world of angle brackets, tags, inconsistent style behaviour, outdated and accidental scripting languages that have been band-aid'ed into full blown languages. And then there's jQuery. A Javascript wrapper that empowers js to super human levels AND leverages the powerful selector syntax of CSS.

I feel like if js and Node merged into a single front and back end language, and jQuery merged in as well. A single POWERFUL language that makes the front end and back end consistent - syntax-wise.
And of course HTML should become something like Markdown. So much unnecessary typing wordy tags, angle brackets, etc. It's a formatting/layout markup, why not make it perfectly readable. I'm sure there's Markdown to HTML converters etc out there, but a super quick search didn't yield much.

Anyway, the more jQuery I get to use, the more enjoyable my task is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 VST Effects I Use in Every Song

VSTs are so great. I have a massive collection of free instruments and FX that I've tracked down. There are SOO many to choose from... B...