Monday, March 2, 2020

Neon Arches of Chaos

What a roller coaster ride. I decided to try an Arch Linux install again, in a VirtualBox instance. I got close, but it still wasn't booting correctly. I think my Grub installation wasn't done correctly. But this got me wanting to update my laptop OS. It has been a while. I decided to run Mint with a KDE desktop installed.

I installed it but wasn't able to get to the Grub menu so my laptop kept freezing. I needed to do the Nvidia fix and it wouldn't let me so I was stuck.

On MSI machines (Maybe all machines, I'm not sure) the Shift key, held down after the logo, brings up the Grub menu. This wasn't working on my machine - I don't know why. I was able to hit F11 to get to the boot device selection list. I hit enter to launch my Mint system and immediately hit 'E' a bunch of times. It worked! It brought up the Grub editor. I made my changes and all was copacetic.

Until it wasn't.

I couldn't get the KDE desktop to install, and really wanted a clean start. So I decided to rebuild and just get used to XFCE. But I couldn't get into the Grub editor, not even with my F11 trick.
I decided to edit it via the live image. This was educational! I learned you have to mount certain system drives etc, install Grub and edit the .cfg. However I was doing something wrong, it never worked.

I decided to try KaOS. I grabbed an image and 'dd'd it onto my USB. Nope. It failed to install. I later read that its installer is somewhat unstable.

I did some more searching and came upon KDE neon. I decided to give it a try. It apparently is more up to date than Kubuntu. I downloaded it and installed it. To my surprise it ran without any issues! No need to do the NVDIA fix. I think I have a new favorite distro! So far I've had ZERO issues with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 VST Effects I Use in Every Song

VSTs are so great. I have a massive collection of free instruments and FX that I've tracked down. There are SOO many to choose from... B...